About the Blog

My blog post are of varied topics ranging from personal experiences, travel, wild life photographs, interesting news, of happenings around the world that catches my fancy. In other words i write about anything when i am in a mood to write

Saturday, November 20, 2010

AGE GRACEFULLY

An Email from a friend about aging made me write this blog and would appreciate your views on the same.
For centuries human race has always had the fascination of beauty and youthfulness  and this is reflected in almost all tales written and legends which most of us would have read. The old and the withered are forgotten with time and are hardly written about !!! Today if we talk of aging, it is associated with a woman who is more conscious of aging than a man. I remember a saying in my younger days ( in later teens) “ Wine and women.. older the better” (now don’t get any wrong ideas)…..  If women are better when they are older then why is that it is a taboo to ask a woman her age !!!
Every living thing on this Universe has a definite aging process and it is quite natural over a period of time . Aging in humans is a multidimensional process of physical, psychological, and social change. Some dimensions of aging grow and expand over time, while others decline. Reaction time, for example, may slow with age, while knowledge of world events and wisdom may expand. Research shows that even late in life potential exists for physical, mental, and social growth and development. Aging is an important part of all human societies reflecting the biological changes that occur, but also reflecting cultural and societal conventions . Then why is that a human being is unable to digest the fact that  as the time marches on , we just keep getting older.
Most of us play a harmless  game...denying our age. We feel sensitive about our age as we grow older. Though it is just a way to deal with growing older, but the sooner one realizes that growing older is a mandatory process and inevitable..the happier one would be and age gracefully!!!

We read in news papers and magazines of various techniques to ward off wrinkles, grey hairs, cosmetic / plastic surgery to correct the sagging breasts or to make you look much younger than you are !!! Why are all these various means needs to be used… why not age gracefully as the artificial means does not extend you life span … it is just superficial !!!
Coming to think of the superficial ways to delay the aging is generally done by the people in the film and fashion industry, rich socialites who feel insecure in their respective field…. Thinking that a younger person would come along and take over their mantle and that would be the end of their life and career. Yes true that we have younger generations who are catching up quite fast in all fields of the life but then how long does one carry this charade of being ageless…. For it just changes your appearance but not the bodily functions and at times the procedure can go haywire leading to various complications

Common population also follow some of the cheaper superficial methods.. why even me… I used to color my hair to look black from the age of 21 to almost when I was 49 years… due an insecure feeling that I would not be able to catch the eye of a woman for she may think that I am old and also by insistence from family members !!! I know most people have used these superficial means at some point of their lives….. due peer pressures or to please their family members.
If we could get over the insecurity of getting old then I am sure each one of us would enjoy our life better. But then I have realized that you have to first accept the fact yourself  and Let yourself age and you will be able to see true beauty...not the beauty that comes from a cosmetic jar! "Aging gracefully is a matter of self esteem.". Now that I am over 50 years I have let the nature take its course and  have decided to age gracefully ……… its is painful too when a young beautiful woman across the super market aisle calls me an uncle too ….LoL .

Scientist all over the world are experimenting in anti aging medicine to extend the life expectancy by slowing or reversing the process of aging  by various means such as tissue rejuvenation with stem cells and molecular repairs along with organ replacement which will eventually enable humans to have indefinite lifespan. These are all still a theory and may become a reality in many years to come…. Science fiction of today may be the reality in future, but not for me at least in this generation !!!
"Age is just an issue of mind over matter..If you don't mind it…..it doesn’t matter at all!!"
I am pasting the contents of the mail sent by my friend which does bring out the joys of aging and am sure you would like it
I  would never trade my amazing life, my loving family , wonderful friends for less gray hair or a flatter belly.  As I've aged, I've become  kinder to myself, and less critical of  myself. I've become my own  friend. I don't chide myself for eating  that extra cookie, or for not  making my bed, or  buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio.  I am entitled to a treat, to be   messy, to be extravagant. I  have seen too many dear relatives and friends leave this world too soon; before they  understood the great freedom that comes with aging.
Whose  business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and  sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60  &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish  to weep over a lost love  ..... I will.

I  will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and  will dive into the waves with  abandon if I choose to, despite the  pitying glances from the jet set.  They too will get  old one day…..
I  know I am sometimes forgetful.  But there again, some  aspects of life is just as well forgotten. And I  eventually remember the important  things….
Sure,  over the years my heart has been broken.  How can your heart not   break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when  somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?  But broken  hearts are  what give us strength and understanding and compassion.   A heart  never broken is pristine and sterile and will  never know the joy of  being imperfect.

I  am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to  have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my  face. So  many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn  silver.

As  you get older, it is easier to be positive.  You care less about   what other people think.  I don't question myself anymore.   I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So,  to answer your question, I like being old.  It has set me free.  I  like the person I have become.  I am not going to live forever, but while  I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could  have been,  or worrying about what will be.  And I shall eat dessert every single day  if I feel like it.

I know that what I have written no relevance to individuals choice of life but then give it a thought !!!
                           
              “Don't regret growing older..for it is a privilege denied to many."


No comments:

Post a Comment