About the Blog

My blog post are of varied topics ranging from personal experiences, travel, wild life photographs, interesting news, of happenings around the world that catches my fancy. In other words i write about anything when i am in a mood to write

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

What is it in a name??


I have been queried by quite a few people as to why I chose to use my alter ego to be “engram” and here goes my response

As an engineer we do not use the prefix Engineer before our names unlike the doctors but then while in gulf I noticed most engineers from Egypt use the prefix Engineer before their names. This gave me an idea for selecting the change of name for my blog and also for my copyright name. My blog now is known as Engram’s random rambling and my copyright for my images are @engrams photos. A very simple thought process while selecting the name ... well the first three letters from engineer and the first three letters of my name– Engineer Ramesh to formulate Engram

I never knew that the same name is used as a medical term and as per the Collins English dictionary the word Engram is explained as the physical basis of an individual memory in the brain. In neuropsychology a memory trace, is also known as an engram, is a theoretical means by which memories are physically stored in the brain. The actual method of storage of memory, whether by biophysical or biochemical means, is still being debated. The name engram was originally coined by a scientist by name Richard Semon, a German biologist who thought he may be able to find the place where the memories are stored. 

Phewww i never thought that the name I selected has so much history to it, but then am quite pleased that my alter ego is an unit of memory trace for my blogs and images are indeed my memories. Fuelled by astonishment I did a Google searched my blog Engrams Random Rambling and to my pleasant surprise I found that one of my blog about “ Work Life Balance” has been referred in couple of research papers. 
 
 
The screenshot of credits being given to my blog in the research paper carried out by couple of professors from Banaras Hindu University. Also a mention of the same blog has been referred in a paper submitted to The International Journal of Business & Management by two persons from Abia State University, Nigeria. In my blog I had recounted my experiences about the work culture changes over a period of time and i am very happy that my post was read by people across the world and also gave them some thoughts to pursue it further in their research.

This does reinforces my thoughts about writing blogs that someone somewhere would surely read what I write and may be of some use to them in a small way.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post sir. Loved to know about your name and the scientific twist to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abhisek.. yess i was also surprised to learn that part when i Googled my name few days back.

      Delete